Franco-Nevada Corporation is the leading gold royalty and streaming company with the largest and most diversified portfolio of assets. The Company is precious metals-focused but also has the largest and most diversified portfolio of royalties and streams by commodity, geography, revenue type and stage of project. Franco-Nevada strives to generate 80% of revenue from precious metals over a long-term horizon which includes gold, silver and PGM.
The Company does not operate mines, develop projects or conduct exploration. Franco-Nevada’s business model is focused on managing and growing its portfolio of royalties and streams. The advantages of this business model are:
- Exposure to precious metals price optionality;
- A perpetual discovery option over large areas of geologically prospective lands with no cost other than the initial investment;
- Limited exposure to many of the risks associated with operating companies;
- A free cash-flow business with limited cash calls;
- A high-margin business that can generate cash through the entire commodity cycle;
- A scalable and diversified business in which a large number of assets can be managed with a small stable overhead; and
- A forward-looking business in which management focuses on growth opportunities rather than operational or development issues.
Franco-Nevada’s financial results in the short-term are primarily tied to the price of commodities and the amount of production from its portfolio of producing assets. From time to time, financial results are also supplemented by acquisitions of new producing assets. Over the longer-term, results are impacted by the availability of exploration and development capital applied by other companies to advance Franco-Nevada’s advanced and exploration assets into production.
Franco-Nevada has a long-term focus in making its investments and recognizes it is in a cyclical industry. Franco-Nevada has historically operated by maintaining a strong balance sheet so that it can make investments during commodity cycle downturns.
Franco-Nevada’s shares are listed on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges under the symbol FNV. An investment in Franco-Nevada’s shares is expected to provide investors with yield and more upside than a gold ETF without exposure to operating cost inflation. Since its IPO over seven years ago, Franco-Nevada’s share price has outperformed the gold price and all relevant gold equity benchmarks.